Hardscaping and Outdoor Lighting
At The Landscape Company, we can help you enjoy your outdoor spaces throughout the year in our Central Coast climate. We can incorporate hardscaping and lighting into your existing landscape design or create an entirely new landscape design for you that includes a variety of hardscaping and outdoor lighting elements. Hardscaping refers to the design and installation of non-living features, including fireplaces, hot tub surrounds, water features, walkways, retaining walls, and more. Hardscaping can impact landscaping or backyard design, improve drainage, prevent erosion, and help you make use of every part of your property. Outdoor lighting makes it possible for you enjoy your outdoor living spaces in the evenings and can improve safety by lighting walkways, driveways, and patios.
Our hardscaping design and installation services
Hardscape elements such as patios, pergolas, arbors, pathways, benches, fire pits, and ponds can create outdoor living spaces for enjoyment and entertaining. The Landscape Company can help you with many different types of hardscape elements that you can incorporate into your new or existing landscape design.
A paver patio will provide a “wow” factor and low maintenance to your upscale outdoor living area instead of a simple concrete patio. Walkways, pathways, stairways, and terraces can help you get the most use from every part of your property. Decorative elements such as pergolas, sitting walls, benches, and water features will add style and serenity to any landscape. Additionally, an outdoor fireplace allows you to use your outdoor space on chilly Santa Cruz County nights as an extra room. Any of these features is ideal for entertaining friends and family.
With our hardscaping services, we can design and install a variety of unique hardscapes and hardscaping elements:
- Retaining walls
- Artificial grass
- Pergolas and arbors
- Deer fencing
- Walkways, pathways, and sidewalks
- Sitting walls and benches
- Custom fireplaces or fire pits
- Hot tub surrounds
- Paver patios
- Ponds, fountains, and water features
- Terraces and stairways
As experienced landscape designers, we can work with a variety of types of materials when designing and creating hardscaping. This includes concrete, stamped concrete, pavers, brick, or natural stone. Each of these materials offers a different style and aesthetic look. Depending on your own personal preference and budget constraints, we can help you determine which materials are best for your hardscaping, walkway, retaining wall, and patio design project.
Hardscaping with Pavers
One of the most popular materials for creating hardscaping elements and features including walkways and patios is pavers. Stone pavers are man-made stones that are designed to fit or inter-lock together. These can be used to create a variety of styles and designs. At The Landscape Company, we have experience working with pavers to create patios of all shapes and sizes.
Retaining Walls: Professional Retaining Wall Construction
Retaining walls can be used to add design, aesthetic appeal, drainage or erosion control, and function to a landscaping design. There are a variety of types of retaining walls available including natural stone and interlocking block retaining walls. Each of these different materials is available in a wide variety of colors and will add a different style to your overall landscaping design.
We can build retaining walls of all styles and sizes. If you would like to talk with one of our landscaping designers or experts about designing and creating your new retaining walls, please contact The Landscape Company online or by phone.
Retaining Wall Uses: Retaining walls can be designed for a structural, drainage control, or aesthetic purposes. For example, stone retaining walls can enhance a garden bed or highlight a specific area within your yard. They can be used to add several levels or dimensions within your landscape in order to add interest and take advantage of more space in a sloping or uneven yard.
Additionally, retaining walls also serve an important role in controlling rainwater drainage and preventing erosion. Finally, retaining walls can even be used to add aesthetic appeal or function to a landscaping or hardscaping design. For example, a retaining wall can be used to add additional seating to a space by creating a natural bench along a patio or near a built in fireplace.
Types of Retaining Walls: There are many different styles of retaining walls to choose from as retaining walls can be built out of a variety of materials. Different types of retaining walls offer a different type of style and durability. Therefore, selecting the best type of retaining wall should depend on your preferred style as well as the structural application of your wall.
The main types of retaining walls that we recommended for our Santa Cruz customers include:
- Interlocking Block Retaining Walls: This type of retaining wall uses man-made, interlocking blocks of concrete, stone, or cement to build a relatively strong wall. They can be used for small or large retaining walls and are available in a variety of colors and styles to create a variety of looks.
- Sonoma Field Stone Retaining Walls: Sonoma field stone retaining walls are made by dry stacking stone to create a rustic look and style that compliments many landscaping designs.
- Wood Retaining Walls: Wood retaining walls typically use pressure treated lumber connected to cemented posts that creates a sturdy and natural looking wall to retain soil and create a level area while reducing erosion.
Outdoor lighting design and installation services
Landscape lighting can add value to your overall landscape while increasing safety and security and allow you to enjoy your outdoor space well into the night. At The Landscape Company, we can design and install new landscape lighting to accentuate a new or existing landscape design. We can also service and maintenance your existing lighting by replacing bulbs and repairing lights in order to keep your lighting working properly. Our landscape lighting services are available to both residential and commercial customers located throughout the Santa Cruz area.
At The Landscape Company, we specialize in providing landscape lighting services for commercial and residential customers in Santa Cruz County. We can install complete landscape designs, which integrate a variety of types and styles of landscape lighting. We can work with low voltage lighting products including 12 volt lighting, incandescent lighting, and LED lighting. We can also service and maintain your existing landscape lighting as well.
With our complete landscape lighting services, we can meet any of your landscape and outdoor lighting needs. Our services include:
- Lighting Installation: We can install a variety of types of landscape lighting throughout your landscape including incandescent and LED lights. With our professional lighting installation services, you can be sure that your lighting will work properly and reliably.
- Lighting Maintenance: We offer landscape lighting maintenance services for all major brands and styles of landscape lighting. As part of our landscape lighting maintenance services, we will keep your lighting working properly, which includes replacing bulbs in your lights or repairing wiring that may have been damaged by small animals or careless lawn mowing.
Benefits of Landscape Lighting:
Incorporating landscape lighting into your landscaping design offers a number of benefits. These include:
- Increased Security: Applying lighting strategically around your home or building will illuminate dark corners and shadowed areas. This increases security around your property.
- Enhanced Style and Aesthetic Appeal: Lighting can be used to highlight certain architectural features of your home or other elements in your landscaping. Incorporating landscaping lighting throughout your landscaping, will add drama and enhance the look of your landscaping in the evening and night hours.
- Increased Usability: Adding lighting around a patio, pool, hot tub, grill, deck, or outdoor kitchen, will illuminate the space. This will allow you to easily use your outdoor spaces into the evening and night hours, whether you’re nestled in the redwoods or overlooking the Monterey Bay.
- Improved Safety: Poorly lit walkways, patios, and decks can be dangerous for you and your guests. We can add landscape lighting that will illuminate walkways and other commonly traveled areas in order to prevent injuries and accidents.